Blood Moon. The longest Lunar Eclipse. 103 minutes 27th July 2018.
A few years ago. I sat in the cool night air on The Tor with Druids in Glastonbury watching the Blood Moon. It was eerie, magical with dance, ceremony, worship, celebration, intent.
Presently. The heatwave, where in the UK we do not all have air conditioning – We have resorted to sitting in the car by the river eating veggie homemade samosas – (Thanks Dulcie) with air con on full blast = blissful but very temporary.
Last night. Slumber was encompassing, frayed temper loomed, sweat, humidity, parched lawns. The want for rain and fresh air was overwhelming. The storms were forecast. Bar a few flashes and rumbles, still no rain at our house. I sat in front of he keys in the studio..with an urge. This ‘suggestion’ had been suggesting itself for a few days. Our cats were leaping up as per usual. The actual end of the track has 2 random piano notes. This is courtesy of Rambo cat who jumped on the keyboard.
I chose a Mellotron, combined with strings, marimba and piano. This track effortlessly but humbly arrived after a couple of improvised takes on each instrument. This is just the way with something is bursting to come out. No bragging rights as these things just channel from ones fingers via the Claudsville creative portal.
Piano take Blood Moon
Blood Moon by Earth Tree Healing
The Blood Moon is tonight. Here is its accompaniment.
“I create alternative and new age music. I’m a multi-instrumentalist currently drumming in Nottingham indie rock band ‘Strange Currencies.’ I release solo work under Claudine West and ‘Earth Tree Healing.’ I used to call myself Bog Woppit.
“My sound can be as simple as a finger picked acoustic guitar with a haunting vocal. To alternative rock with electric guitars and melodic keyboards. I’m big on harmony, melody and haunting beauty that evokes emotion. I sing a little. But musically it’s the instruments that really do the talking with my work. I am the protagonist of my lyrics. My journey as a musician though jazz, blues, folk, grunge, rock has shaped what I create. You will hear elements of all.
“I also release new age, instrumental and meditation music under the pseudonym ‘Earth Tree Healing.’ From performing on sitars to accordions, keyboards, singing bowls, bongos, mandolins and more. I’m venturing more into binaural beats and good vibrations at 432hz (the God frequency).”
“From my first little ‘Bontempi’ Keyboard and second hand classical guitar. I knew my fingers were a bit special. Puberty unleashed a massive rush of creativity and opened me up as a conduit. It flows through me like a stream from the mountains. But I cannot contemplate the true source. Why would I?
“On one level It’s the buzz after exercise, the wellbeing after meditation and the warmth after red wine all rolled into one. On another it is the rock and roll adrenalin fuelled orgasm and vibrational ecstasy that come with live performance. I am grateful of the bliss this life is giving me. Fame is elusive. But in the dark rooms I learned to play the guitar in, so I didn’t need to look at my fingers on the fretboard, to collecting instruments. (You can never have too many!)
“This journey is so much more satisfying in ways that money or fame cannot bring. I never got into cover bands. I’m a creator not a copier. I’ve spent a lot of time locked away from daylight in home studios. As a teenager I got into Hip-Hop, Tori Amos, Suzanne Vega and grunge music. I appreciated funky beats and rhyme. Along with learning the drums at School. I equally concentrated on piano/keyboards and guitar. Self-taught. I don’t read music much. I improvise. Playing jazz and blues music and spending my formative years jamming at live mic nights.
“I spent many a good and not so good time with talented and sometimes temperamental musicians. I also suffer from a sometimes creative temperament. The beast is calmer with maturity. All great learning on this road!
“Experiencing the sudden death of my music mentor and close friend in my late 20’s was sobering. It created a world of emptiness and revaluation. The writer’s block that followed took me to new shores to heal. My evolution as a songwriter, composer, musician and conduit of thoughts, damage that became lyrics.
“I also have always loved creating instrumental music. A few years ago, I trained as a Reiki Practitioner. I wanted to accompany my practice and meditations. Being part of the pagan community and a spiritual being. The long road of excess led me here. I wrote a book about my life so far. It’s not an ego massager. It is an honest and true account of how I came to be ‘Claudsville Blogs and Biog of a Bog Woppit.’ is available via Amazon Kindle.
“I’ve been in a few bands along the way to here. Namely the cofounder and a decade stint in Nottingham’s The Idolins. I moved from folk pop to rock with the short lived Subway Circus. With myself and the vocalist PP Johnson departing to form Strange Currencies.
“I crawled out of the hole a few years back and really got back into gigging. This helped me get over the stage nerves that plagued me so much. The digital age has been a fantastic enabler to share it all worldwide. I’m having a great old time! I’ve been doing all of this this for over 20 years. Balancing it with my bill paying full time day job in the NHS is hard, but if it was easy. I would not appreciate it as much.
“After I’ve departed this mortal coil, my music will live on. There is something special and humbling about that. Practice, feel it, perform it, channel it, love it.”
What I’m working on
“I’ve just got back from a trip travelling around California. I was in San Francisco and Los Angeles during the tragic wildfires of October 2017. I wrote a new song upon my return called ‘Diablo Winds.’ Which is currently on Bandcamp. This will be on my new instrumental album under ‘Earth Tree Healing’ called ‘Candle Gardeners’ which will be released on digital stores on my birthday, May 30th 2018.
“I’m also busy creating some instrumental meditation work for a few clients. New music and recording an EP with our band Strange Currencies. About to release a guided meditation album I’ve just completed with our spiritual ‘Yoda’ Sally Wathen at Rainbow Bridge. Then I’ll write and record a ‘Goddess’ themed instrumental album later in the year.”
On my birthday. Waking up in our E-den Camping Cabin, going for a wander. Recording the birdsong while looking at the Glastonbury Tor. We love Somerset. Inspired, I made this music to accompany. From my forthcoming 2018 album to be released on 30th May. Written, performed, recorded by Claudine West (Earth Tree Healing)
Currently exclusive to Bandcamp.
Watch the making of Glastonbury at Claudsville Studios.
Experience The Celebration, The Ritual, The Beauty.
8 Sabbats’ by Earth Tree Healing is the 6th release from Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist Claudine West. This New Age instrumental album celebrates The Wheel of the Year, salutes the Equinoxes, Solstices and Harvest Festivals. From relaxing meditation music to dancing around a Beltane fire. For fans of good vibrations. Claudine meditated and channelled energies to capture the essence of each Sabbat/track. Available from digital stores (iTunes, Amazon Music, Spotify, Google Play etc) and on CD, October 31st 2017.
The Wheel of the Year (on the traditional Pagan calendar) begins at Samhain. Also known as All Hallows Eve/Halloween. It includes Celtic Festivals with the annual cycle of Solstices, Equinoxes and Festivals. We celebrate the suns transition, fertility, harvests, fire, creativity. We honour the past year and plan the future..
‘Music is a portal. My inspiration for this album, being Pagan. Was to connect further musically with Gaia, our traditions, the history and practices. Honouring the Earth, Nature, Tradition and Spirit. Journey through this musical wheel, from a Pianissimo to its Crescendo, like nature. Feel it, breathe it, let the quiver and the cadence flow. It is the Earth, the Air, the Sky, the Water, the Fire, the Spirits, the Energies…I am grateful for what I have. With our cats often sitting in on recording sessions. As a musician at Claudsville Studios. I sit back, meditate upon the intention and let the vibrations take over. I’m the puppet of improvisation and flow. My guitars, mandolin, bass, sitar, auto harp…Adding piano and keyboards, sounds, frequencies. I am a conduit. Conscious thinking departs. During the composing and recording process, I channel the energies, the essence. I find this experience blissful. I ascend, I dance, I meditate, my fingers flow creating universal vibrations. Blessed be’
Journey through this musical wheel, from a Pianissimo to a Crescendo, like nature. Feel it, breathe it, let the quiver and the cadence flow.It is the Earth, the Air, the Sky, the Water, the Fire, the Spirits, the Energies…
1. Samhain (31st October) As summer ends, we enter the dark half of the year. The vale is thin between our world and the other world. Also known as All Saints Day and Halloween. Samhain is a personal journey I undertake to Wales, with family. Our descendants who reside in the Summerlands gather and dine. Rituals, Divination. Candles burn until they disappear. This is our time together. As the Wheel of the Year continues. We are thankful of the harvests this year. We carve pumpkins, make pumpkin fritters with brown sugar. With a leg of lamb with the roast. The head of the table is laid and dines with us. We place our candles there for our loved ones. This blue library room is where we congregate. Pudding is apples and plenty of brandy for pudding Samhain.
In the years that have passed. I’ve cried, I’ve overcome. I miss them when they visit and offer support and advise… Good advice! We’ve all discussed what needed to be. From the books… we learned more through divination, than they told read cover to cover. With warmth into darkness. We walked through flames and overcame. We planned, rescued, supported. Where lectures helped awaken. Our hand fasting date on 1st April 2011 came from Samhain. Being part of this something has been welcomed and fabulous. I’m writing this, as am on the brink of my own evolution into bliss. Belief, small steps, giant bounds. The truth and a little help from my loved ones in spirit, got me here right now. Thank you. Oh and enjoy the music 🎶
2. Yule (21st December) The Winter Solstice. The shortest day. It’s time for us to light the Yule log. Celebrate the rebirth of the sun. Watch the fire crackle, bring warmth and hot soup for the soul. Settle with the cats as the evenings get darker and magical. We prepare our intents for the coming year of new adventures. As a child the excitement of the winter snow has never left me. The white blanket that comforts. Present giving and seeing the surprise and gratitude is wonderful feeling. I’m hoping with a little help from the law of attraction, 2018 will bring a Hurdy – Gurdy 😉 (Luckily we just got given a free hot tub!) This time has also been spent with our circle in Wales. With this track I wanted to enhance that magical feeling. The peeping from under the covers. Rebirth in the Solstice sun.
3. Imbolc (1st-2nd February) Following what feels like the damp, dark month of January, the land awakens with the beginning of spring. Where udders lactate. Receive blessings from the Goddess Brigid. This is the time for creativity, inspiration, initiations and music making. (Claudine filmed the video of beautiful skies on a flight back to the UK from a trip to California and Nevada in October 2017)
4. Ostara (21st March) (Spring Equinox)From the North to the East to the South to the West. This is the Spring Equinox. The first day of spring in the northern hemisphere. If Imbolc was a breath on the wind …Ostara is the refresh. The jolt, the spark, the greenery. Life comes alive. The rebirth of nature. The fertile 5 elements of Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit combine for growth. The Cross, the Wheel of the Year. Night and day are almost equal. I love this time of year as it’s the big wake up. The flowers begin to bloom. Colour returns. This is a personal favourite on this album. This track has orchestral instrument arrangements such as French Horns and Clarinets. Whilst a big fan of using the Harp. I put in the pulse of rhythms for this true awakening and celebration.
5. Beltane (30th April-1st May) The festival of fire. This is the beginning of summer. Known as May Day. Bonfires are lit to honour the sun for future harvests. Originating from the Celtic God ‘Bel’ (The Bright One). The rhythm. With guitar, mandolin and drums. This track encapsulates the power and the passion. Dance round the maypole in the wild. Here is a clip of me recording a guitar part.
6. Litha (Summer Solstice) (21st June) With the longest day and the shortest night. The sun is at its Zenith. The Fire Festival with The Sun God. Stonehenge gatherers celebrate midsummer with rituals. This was the first track I composed and recorded for 8 Sabbats. Happy times, sunshine and excitement.
7. Lammas Lughnasadh (1st August)The prelude, first harvest of the season. The festival of the cutting of the grain. From the Irish God ‘Lugh.’ This music for a medieval feast. Don’t forget to make Corn Dollies!
8. Mabon (21 September) (Autumn Equinox) Night and day are of equal length during this harvest festival. Reap what you sow. Be grateful for the blessings that you have. Process the past year, plan your future.As we head into Autumn. I like to get my blankets out, burn lots of candle and romance in the atmosphere. While the leaves will fall. The greens turn into beautiful oranges, red and yellows. The air freshens. A purity in the crisp mornings with the lowering sun. (Filmed 12.08.17 on Cromford Canal Matlock, England. Thank you http://www.cromfordcanal.info/ for the canal boat trip.)
Meditate, relax, dance, celebrate and love ~ Claudine
The Autumn Equinox, the harvest and changing of the seasons. I also cycle through the Wheel of the Year with composing tracks for my forthcoming album (2018 release) ‘8 Sabbats’by Earth Tree Healing.
The darkness is coming. I’m at the point of disillusionment in Muggleland. Whilst grateful the bills get paid and a few treats. Its very easy to get sucked into that vortex and remain totally unfulfilled and frustrated. Anxiety and stress levels increase. Change is on the horizon. Which is only a good thing. The stagnant pond that has been… needed it. A feeling of hopelessness has enveloped for a month. Whilst I accept I’ll never really fit into that world. It still stings. My soul and fingers are given to creative adventures. Once I enter the healing room/studio. Thats where the magic happens. Bliss returns. A rotation of Rose Quartz and Amethyst is pillow rotation to help the bad dreams of late.
Yes these current energies are creating havoc. When one feels them as I do. It makes my exposure to the bad ones, the liars, the lazys, the users, the manipulators .. one giant ice cream headache. In this world I am at time so very lost and disappointed with peoples selfishness.
Even after a week off on hols. We did some serious life reevaluating. I want to become a recluse for 6 months and recharge. But…the drive to succeed is strong. Sometimes you just have to get on and make the best of what today brings. But on a positive. The practicality and decision to better balance my life has been made and fingers crossed begins soon. The wants for a Hurdy Gurdy after a trip to Arundel Castle watching jousting is a treat waiting to happen.
Getting back to nature and my Pagan roots has been refreshing and inspiring. When one is all time consumed. The Universe will interject occurrences to freeze frame and rethink the master plan.
We spent last Sunday seeing old friends at Pagan Pridein Nottingham. The need to reconnect is now stronger than ever. A canal boat ride at Cromford Canal. On a sunny Saturday afternoon chatting to strangers was needed. I shot this video footage to Mabon.
A Psychic Supper last night with Sally Wathen at Rainbow Bridge. The realisation further being confirmed each time I visit to just do it! Things, synchronicity and sods law can have one almost bitter seething on the edge of a razor. When you find out the world is flat and enter the rabbit hole. Its time to step back. Switch it all off and make music.
“Some of the ugliest things are the loveliest things.”
It’s time to make waves
With quite a few albums in the pipeline for 2018 onwards. Claudine is a busy Bog Woppit. I keep affirming that everything is going to be ok. It is isnt it?
1 day later. An amazing opportunity occurred…. I love the Universe.
A day after that. Another box ticker. Hard work, dedication, positive mindset. Doing things for the right reason brings an incalculable abundance to my life here.
It shines so very brightly when the right path is followed. 🙂
I own a beautiful old Sitar from India. I recorded this track ‘Namaste.’ As an Improvisational piece. Its really quite challenging, but also fun to capture and video the multi-track recording process. Camera tripod collapses and cups of Chai tea. I indulge, meditate and drift in to my Earth Tree Healing music. Each track leave me (and I hope my listeners with a sense of wellbeing) – Enjoy
‘Seeking solace from mind chatter. Music heals. In these moments I sit a protective circle of inner peace on a beautiful prairie. Where cotton floats in the breeze under a metallic blue sky. An emerald forest, where ferns caress as I pass. I reach the beach. This place is golden and blissful. The waves gently tantalise the shoreline. The air I breathe is fresh, it revitalises me. I close my eyes and inhale deeply. I am grateful for amazing during this alive time in this body in this life.’
When I close my eyes and channel energies. A comfort blanket of darkness envelops me and I drift. I drift to pure relaxation. Upon waking body and mind are calm. I feel good. Coping with everyday stresses I now tolerate. Coping with the other things.. It gives me comfort and strength. I regularly speak to Angels. I ask for help, advice and sunshine.’ Enjoy.
Close your eyes, get comfortable, focus on your breathing and let this music help you connect, travel, relax, vision quest, explore, communicate…
‘The album is relaxation sustenance for the soul. Great for Yoga, meditation and chilling out. From the opening track ‘Guardian Angel’ to the deep and cosmic ‘Metatron.’ I listen to this when I travel, can’t sleep and practice Reiki. Connecting with the angels is a journey to embrace. I’ve found a deeper inner peace. Reassurance that we can ask for help, guidance, protection. This is the sounds of blue skies that break through dark clouds and show the sunshine. The smell of freshly mown grass after the rain. The crystal clarity of visions during meditations. The signs. The calm. There is also the first album to try. P.S. Also good while doing the housework!’
The tracks Guardian Angel, Ariel and Metatron are tuned to 432HZ. Some say this frequency vibrates with the Universe I personally, (during the mixing and mastering process) compared these 3 tracks to the usual 440HZ tuning and found the experiences to be more relaxing at 432HZ.
Released digitally 25th February 2017. This follows ‘The Journey’ a collaboration with Sally Wathen at Rainbow Bridge, who always makes me feel better everytime we visit. She helps confirm that making music is my path, ignoring that path is not an option. Which is why once I invested in new studio equipment after my old Fostex machine retired by both effectively ‘dying’ on me after 20 years. I’ve invested in Logic Pro X and am learning its use step by step by watching Youtube videos as lack a good attention span with I worked mostly evening and weekends around my day job. Inspired and indulging in blissful musical quiet times making these albums.